Săliştea de Sus is a village situated on the Iza river in Maramures region of Romania. Traveling from Borsa to Sighetu Marmaţiei I stopped for a while in this place, attracted by the tower of a wooden church built on a hill.
There are two wooden churches in this village both of them named after Saint Nicholas.
One was built downhill in 1722 by the Bâleni family on the place of an older one that was burn during a Tatar invasion. It has original paintings on the interior walls and icons from 18th century.
The other wooden church (the one in the pictures) dates from 1650 and was built by the Nistor family. This church was burned too by the Tatar in 1717 and rebuilt after that. The legend says that when the church was set on fire a women hiding in the bushes waited for the Tatars to go away and then carried water with a bucket and extinguished the fire.
Built in the specific Maramuresian architectural style with wood brought from "Gruiul Rusului" it is the only wooden church in Maramures with two towers. From the initial paintings you can hardly see any parts nowadays. Anyway, some wooden icons are still kept inside.
The church is surrounded by a cemetery with the particularity that on every cross along with the name of the man buried there is also written his profession.
The settlement name appears for the first time in 1365 in a diploma given by Hungarian king Ludovic the First to voievode Balc, son of Sas. The village was given to Balc among with other territories from Maramures. All these lands belonged earlier to voivode Bogdan and to his sons.
The main occupation of the people here, was, and still is, the agriculture and mainly the animal growth.
The first documented mentioning of a school here dates back in 1792 in a report of the bishop Andrei Bacinschi
The beautiful village struggles between the traditional way o life learned from their ancestors and the use of all the new technologies.