The Black Church, Brasov, August 2006
The Black Church is one of the most important and doubtlessly the most imposing monument built by the German people from Transylvania in Their 850 years of history. The name "Black Church" was conferred to the main Evangelic - Lutheran Church of German language from Brasov after the catastrophic fire in 1689, when the whole city was actually burnt. The flames and the smoke blackened its walls, but the sumptuousness and the greatness of the church couldn't be destroyed.
The Black Church, having a length of 89m, is the biggest Gothic church between Vienna and Constantinopole. It's building was begun in the Gothic style in 1383 on the place of a church from the first half of the 13th century; its first head being the priest Thomas Sander. Being finished to a great extent, the church was seriously damaged during the first Turkish invasion in 1421. The building was finished and the church was dedicated until 1477, its patron being the Holy Virgin.
Nowadays the church has only three from the six bells which existed at first. The big bell, having a 6300 kilos weight, is the biggest church bell in Romania. It has an extremely beautiful sound and it can be heard on the occasion of the great church holidays.
Mirror for the Clouds Location : Lake “Izvorul... - Mirror for the Clouds Location : Lake “Izvorul Muntelui”, Romania
5 years ago